A couple weeks ago, I got home from somewhere in the evening and noticed that the porch light was out. I took out the old bulb; it was definitely burned out. But when I put a new bulb in, that didn’t work either.
I tried the new bulb in another socket, and it worked. So it wasn’t the bulb. Something in the process of inserting a new light bulb broke the porch light, apparently. I spent the last couple weeks with the knowledge in the back of my mind that I needed to do something about the porch light eventually. I was hoping it would be something simple, like a loose wire, but given the way that I’ve had so many home repairs over the last few months, I was afraid it was going to be something difficult to fix requiring me to shell out another large sum of money and work around someone else’s schedule to get fixed.
I hadn’t done anything about it until this morning, mostly because I had been busy and hadn’t felt like dealing with it, and having a porch light isn’t absolutely essential. But I decided to take a look at it this morning. I started by unscrewing the bulb to make sure, again, that it worked in another socket. It did. And then, looking at the porch light, I noticed something.
When I tried to change the bulb a couple weeks ago, it was dark. A mix of cobwebs, dirt, and stuff that fell off of or came out of bugs was inside the socket. Apparently, when I tried to screw in the new light bulb in the dark, this debris had pushed into the socket, making a bad electrical connection between the bulb and the rest of the electrical system.
So I took one of those spray can blowers and blew out as much stuff out of the porch light as I could. I took a paint brush and brushed more of it off. And I put the new bulb back in. It worked.
Sometimes, one can be so blinded by stress and worry so as to completely miss the simple solution that was right there all along. That is all.